Research Output per year
Abhilash's principal area of research is within the area of internet law, specifically the regulation of illegal content and internet pornography. He is a world-leading expert on online child safety laws, and has advised various international and national bodies on regulating illegal content, online child sexual abuse material, and content-related cybercrime. He has published widely on aspects of internet law and regulation, and has been a regular speaker at international conferences and panels. Abhilash's recent research monograph titled 'The Regulation of Internet Pornography: Issues and Challenges' (Routledge) examines how the internet has necessitated a fundamental change in the regulation of pornography.
Abhilash holds a number of external appointments outside the University. He is the Editor in Chief of the European Journal of Law and Technology, one of the oldest open access law journals in Europe (formerly published as JILT). In addition, he serves as the Deputy Editor of the International Review of Law, Computers and Technology (Routledge), and an Associate Editor of the European Journal of Current Legal Issues. Abhilash is Secretary of the British and Irish Law, Education and Technology Association and has served as a member of the Technology Law and Practice Committee of the Law Society of Scotland. Abhilash is a member of the Evidence Working Group of the UK Council for Internet Safety (UKCIS) and a member of the UN-IGF Dynamic Coalition on Child Online Safety.
Abhilash has taught modules on internet law and regulation. He is currently module leader for:
BL2208 The Internet and the Law (LLB)
BLM171 Internet Law (LLM)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Secretary, BILETA (www.bileta.ac.uk)
- Member, Dynamic Coalition on Child Online Safety, United Nations Internet Governance Forum
- Member, UK Council for Internet Safety Evidence Working Group
- Academic Observer, Digital Policy Alliance (formerly, EURIM)
Editor-in-Chief, European Journal of Law and Technology (www.ejlt.org)
Deputy Editor, International Review of Law, Computers and Technology
Associate Editor, European Journal of Currentl Legal Issues (www.ejocli.org)
Abhilash has extensive experience of contributing to both written and broadcast media outlets including the BBC News Channel, Victoria Derbyshire (BBC 2), BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Asian Network, various BBC Local Radio outlets across the country, TechNewsWorld,The Economic Times and The Conversation.
Notable print media contributions include:
- Policing porn and the new enforcement of moral standards that don’t exist - The Conversation
- When a drawing or cartoon image can land you in jail - The Conversation
- Poke Me: The real issue India needs to tackle is child pornography, not pornography - The Economic Times
Nair, A, ‘Regulation of Internet Pornography: Issues and Challenges’, (Routledge 2018)
Nair, A, invited Foreword, in De Miguel M, Santamarina Campos V (eds), Ethics and Civil Drones, Springer 2017
- Nair A, J, ‘Editorial’, European Journal of Law and Technology, Vol 9, No.3, 2018
- Nair A, Maharg P and Griffin J, ‘Editorial’, European Journal of Law and Technology, Vol 9, No.2, 2018
- Maharg, P, Nair A and Easton, C, '“The most audacious and specific plan for knowledge, freedom and a better world”': Developing radical pathways to free, open journals’, European Journal of Law and Technology, Vol 9, No 1, 2018
- Maharg, P, Nair, A, ‘Open legal journals in the space of flows: the future of legal journal publication’ (editorial), European Journal of Law and Technology, Vol 7, No. 3, 2016
- Nair, A and Griffin, J, ‘Regulation of online pornography: Purposive teleology (in) action, International Journal of Law and Information Technology Vol 21 No 4 Dec 2013
- Griffin J and Nair, A, ‘Scientia potentia est: Making threats of copyright infringement’, International Review of Law, Computers and Technology, Vol 27 No 3 2013
- Nair, A, ‘Online gambling, children and the law’, European Journal of Law and Technology, Vol 3, No 3, 2012
- Jones R, Nair, A, ‘Too many laws, too few examples: Law, technology and legal education’ editorial, IRLCT, 27:3, 2013
- Nair, A, Mendis, D, ‘Response to the Consultation on online gambling in the Internal Market’, European Journal of Law and Technology, Vol 3, No 1, 2012
- Nair, A, ‘Real porn and pseudo porn: The regulatory road’, International Review of Law, Computers and Technology Vol 24, No 3, 2010
- Nair, A, ‘Technology: Used or misused?’ editorial, IRLCT, 26:1, 2012
- Nair, A, 'Caveat Viewer!: The rationale of the possession offence, International Review of Law, Computers and Technology, Vol 22, Nos 1&2, 2008
- Nair, A, ‘Internet Content Regulation: Is a global community standard a fallacy or the only way out?’ International Review of Law, Computers and Technology, Vol 21, No. 1, 2007
- Nair, A, ‘Mobile phones and the internet: Legal issues in the protection of children’, International Review of Law, Computers and Technology, Vol 20, Nos 1-2, 2006.
- Nair, A, ‘E-commerce law in developing countries- An Indian perspective’ Information and Communications Technology Law, Vol 11, No 3, Oct 2002
- Nair, A, Written evidence to the House of Lords Communications Committee Inquiry on Children and the Internet, (CHI0037), Oct 2016.
- ‘Intellectual Property Law’, with Griffin, J & Ying, J., Hodder Arnold, 2007.
Selected invited talks/keynotes
- Invited speaker and chair, INHOPE hotline training meeting, Crete, June 2018.
- Safer Internet Forum 2017, invited speaker on age verification law and child safety, Brussels, November 2017.
- Invited speaker at INHOPE training session for member hotlines, Brussels, September 2017.
- ‘Children’s rights to privacy, safety and freedom of expression’, panellist at the 11th United Nations Internet Governance Forum Meeting, Guadalajara, Mexico, Dec 2016
- Keynote speaker and panellist, India Round-table on Child Internet Safety, organised by the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (ICMEC, USA), Tulir (Chennai, India) and Terres de Hommes (Netherlands) with WeProtect/UNICEF funding, New Delhi, Oct 2016
- Invited speaker, Global Experts Meeting on Tackling Online Sexual Exploitation of Children, organised by ECPAT International and sponsored by the UNICEF, Paris, May 2016
- Chair, plenary session on protecting vulnerable groups on the internet, Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation Cyber Security Forum 2016, BT Tower, London, March 2016
- ‘Age verification: Legal, policy and regulatory issues’, panellist at the TrustElevate Online Age Verification Symposium, British Library, London, Sept 2015
- ‘Privacy and security in the digital age’, speaker at the plenary session organised by the Department for Business and Innovation Skills, Chatham House, London, June 2015
- ‘When porn and privacy collide’, panellist, CPDP Conference, Brussels, January 2015
- ‘Regulation of revenge pornography’, panel organiser/chair, CPDP Conference, Brussels, January 2015
- ‘Intelligent risk management in a mobile environment’, panellist at the 9th United Nations Internet Governance Forum meeting, Istanbul, September 2014
- ‘Combating child abuse images online: Lessons from the UK’, International Conference on Cyber law and Cybercrime, Delhi, March 2014
- ‘Regulation of extreme pornography’, Human Rights and the Internet Conference, University of Nottingham, December 2013 (keynote speaker)
- The legal basis of children’s rights on the Internet’, LSE Seminar, London School of Economics, March 201
- ‘Internet pornography: When regulation goes extreme’, SCuLE Research Seminar, University of Exeter, March 2013 (Public lecture)
- ‘Privatisation of censorship’, 7th United Nations Internet Governance Forum Meeting, Baku, November 2012
- ‘Children and the Internet: Young people as e-consumers’, LSE Seminar, House of Lords, London, October 2012
- ‘Virtual pornography and thought crime’, Jean Monnet Seminar Series in the Information Society, Centre for European Governance, University of Exeter, May 2010
- ‘Privacy issues in online social networks’, Jean Monnet Seminar Series, Centre for European Governance, Department of Politics, University of Exeter, May 2009
- ‘Emerging cyberlaw issues in 2009, 3rd United Nations Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Meeting, Hyderabad, 2008
- ‘Regulating online social networking sites’, School of Law Research Seminar Series, University of Exeter, 2008
- ‘Indecency standards in broadcasting, 2nd International Conference on Business, Law and Technology, New York, 2008
- ‘Social networks and ISP liabilities’, 2nd International Conference on Business, Law and Technology, New York, 2008
Research output: Contribution to journal › Editorial
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract
Research output: Book/Report › Scholarly edition
'The most audacious and specific plan for knowledge, freedom and a better world’: Developing radical pathways to free, open journalsMaharg, P., Nair, A. & Easton, C., 20 Jun 2018, In : European Journal of Law and Technology . 9, 1
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Activities per year
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Participation in conference