The Escherichia coli lac operon promoter is widely used as a tool to control recombinant protein production in bacteria. Here, we give a brief review of how it functions, how it is regulated, and how, based on this knowledge, a suite of lac promoter derivatives has been developed to give a controlled expression that is suitable for diverse biotechnology applications.
- Escherichia coli/genetics
- Lac Operon/genetics
- Promoter Regions, Genetic/genetics
- Recombinant Proteins/genetics
- Repressor Proteins/genetics
- Transcription, Genetic/genetics